- This event has passed.
Auditing Projects (Project Governance and Assurance) – Online Classroom
November 8, 2023 @ 10:30 am - November 9, 2023 @ 1:30 pm AEDT
Are you looking to improve your knowledge and skills to effectively audit and provide assurance on projects?
Almost every organisation will have programs and projects rating high on their risk register, appearing in their audit universe, and therefore, subject to the audit process. But how do we know what to audit, when to audit or who can assist us with our project audit?
Join this training course to understand the differences between portfolios, programs, and projects, and learn about project assurance and its importance. Explore the role of internal audit in project assurance, apply the appropriate internal audit approach based on project management methodologies, and discover forward-looking project audit techniques, including data analytics and digitisation.
The following learning outcomes will be covered during the “Auditing Project” training, with the main focus being on auditing and providing assurance on projects.
- The difference between a Portfolio, a Program, and a Project
- An understanding of what Project Assurance is
- Be comfortable with the role of Internal Audit in project assurance
- Apply the internal audit approach to projects
- Forward-looking project audit and assurance
1. The difference between a Portfolio, a Program, and a Project
- Project management methodologies (Differences between waterfall, agile and hybrid that are important to internal audit)
- Project Management Plan / Project Execution Plan with subsidiary management plans which sets the project governance, risk, compliance and assurance requirements/controls
- The Project Management Office and where it features
2. An understanding of what Project Assurance is
- Using the 3-lines model
- Project Assurance Plan (integrated assurance)
- Understanding where and how various assurance reviews could feature during the project management cycle, and afterwards (operations and benefits realisation)
3. Be comfortable with the role of Internal Audit in project assurance
- Understand how project management, project assurance and internal audit align with projects
- Assurance vs. consulting engagement when it comes to projects
4. Apply the internal audit approach to projects
- Unpacking the IPPF in terms of project audits
- Identify the appropriate internal audit approach based on the project management methodology
- The difference in the internal audit approach depending on the project management methodology
- Determine the adequacy and test the effectiveness of the project controls in place to mitigate against risk exposure (project control environment assessment)
- Risk management remains at the centre (risk-based auditing)
5. Forward-looking project audit and assurance using Data analytics techniques
Online Classroom: This training program will be delivered in 3-hour lessons (10: 30 AM – 01:30 PM AEDT) on 8, 9 November using Zoom.
Registrations will be strictly limited to 12 participants to allow maximum interaction in the online environment.
For Funds Transfer payments: Download the funds transfer registration form here and email the completed form to [email protected].
- Mr Adriaan Steenekamp PMIIA, CIA
- Riaan is a seasoned governance, risk, compliance and assurance specialist, having performed assurance and due diligence reviews for over 15 years. His area of focus is assisting asset owners and infrastructure intense organisations to achieve optimal value from the GRC&A ecosystem.
He is a qualified Certified Internal Auditor and Certified Risk Management Assurer as a Professional Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors of Australia, a GRC Practitioner and Auditor and a Project Management Professional with the PMI.
He understands the need to enhance risk-based decision-making throughout an organisation to leverage opportunities and mitigate risk exposure. Incorporating design thinking principles into portfolio, program and project due diligence assessments, he has delivered and led multiple assurance assessments and due diligence reviews for government and private entities in Australia, South Africa, North America and Asia.