A PMIIA or Professional Member, Institute of Internal Auditors – Australia has demonstrated they have the competence to practise effectively as a professional internal auditor, and may use the post-nominal PMIIA.
The PMIIA was established, as IIA-Australia’s professional membership level, to strengthen the quality of the internal audit profession and meet the demands on the profession as a key player in best practice corporate governance. The PMIIA provides employers, peers and the community with a measure of the individual internal auditor’s professional competence, experience, commitment to implementing the IPPF internal audit standards and continuing professional development.
To become a professional member, you will need:
- a minimum of 24 months of work experience in an internal auditing role, or related professional area, within the last five years and satisfactorily completed one of the following:
- Graduate Certificate in Internal Auditing (GradCertIA)
- CIA program
- an assessment of current competence
- to declare you will practice in accordance with the IIA’s International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
To maintain your professional membership, you need to:
- make an annual declaration to practice in accordance with the IPPF
- abide by the IIA Code of Ethics
- not bring IIA-Australia into disrepute
- complete 80 hours of CPE every two years.
IIA-Australia postnominals may only be used by members. A PMIIA whose membership lapses must reapply and be assessed again, to be recognised as a PMIIA.
We have waived our transition fee of $150 for members that have completed the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) or Graduate Certificate in Internal Auditing (GradCertIA) program and wish to take up Professional Membership. If you have completed our CIA® or GradCertIA program you are now eligible to transition to a Professional Member for free, simply fill out our transition to Professional Membership form.
Please refer to the assessment of current competence page for information and requirements to become a PMIIA via this method.
$110 joining fee
IIA-Australia connects internal auditors with other internal audit professionals
IIA-Australia supports internal auditors’ personal and professional development goals
IIA-Australia advances the profession and practice of internal auditing